Recipe provided by my sister-in-law Marilyn Bauchat.
This is a perfect recipe for a quick meal for a crowd. I first had it vacationing “up north” where no one wants to spend time by cooking all afternoon. Try to use fresh sage for the best flavor. Even though the sage in my garden has recently been covered with snow, it can still be cut and used. My mother is now making this recipe regularly and thinks the brand American Choice butter beans have the best flavor and texture. Yum, yum!
- 4-15 oz. cans butter beans (use the canning liquid)
- 2-28 oz. cans tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 1 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic (fresh), chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Gently sauté garlic in olive oil.
- Then put all the other ingredients in the soup pot and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
That’s it! What could be easier? Also easy to take all the ingredients with you on vacation. This recipe can also be doubled if you are expecting a really large crowd, or really hungry boys (like my family!).